Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Michelle's Interview



I interviewed my friend Lauren, she is a senior nursing student at Salem State University.  She already had a knowledge of autism from her nursing classes.  Before interviewing Lauren I explained what the new autism definition is.

Q: Is this a problem you think is important?
A: I think it is very important. 

Q: Why do you think it is important?
A: It is important for all the kids and families who are dealing with diagnosis's and it will affect their treatment.

Q: Do you think others in our community think this is an important problem? Why?
A: No, because I don't think a lot of people know how serious autism is.  I don't think they understand how it affects people day to day and all the care and education they need.

Q: What policy, if any, does government now have to deal with this problem?
A: There is the Healthcare Act that does not leave any out based on diagnosis.  Also, they have IEPs in school to help students get the services and education they need.

Q: What are the advantages of the new autism definition?
A: I think it will include more people under the spectrum.

Q: What are the disadvantages of this policy?
A: It could exclude people.

Q: How might the policy be improved?
A: I don't know because it has not been fully established yet so I do not know the affects it has had on the autism community.

Q: Does the policy need to be replaced?
A: No because it has not been fully established yet.

Q: Where can I get more information about this problem and the different positions people take on this problem?
A: You could go to your doctor and they would be able to refer you to the appropriate people and resources.

This interview was fun to do because it was nice to see someone else's views and thoughts on the issue of autism.  I have worked with special needs children, manly autistic children, for the past six years so it is an issue I know a lot about.  I liked hearing about the Healthcare Act because it is something I did not know about before, but I am glad it is in place.  I found it interesting that Lauren said that she does not think it is important to the community because many people are unaware of autism and how important it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment