Thursday, February 16, 2012

Service Learning-Spread The Word To End The Word



The critical attributes of our current event are the derogatory use of the word retard and how this word negatively portrays people with developmental disabilities.  To break this problem up we would set up a table and recruit people to sign the Spread The Word To End The Word pledge saying they will stop the use of the r-word and spread the knowledge of why it is wrong.  The informational knowledge would be to inform how the r-word affects those who are developmental disabled and there caregivers.  The procedural knowledge is that they would sign the pledge and agree to not use the r-word and pass this information on to others.

For our service learning project we want to create a campaign at the north campus dinning hall and provide information on why the r-word is wrong to use.  We would also provide people with an opportunity to sign the pledge whether it is online or on a banner we bring in.

Here are some resources and contacts for our service learning project:


Kim's Take Action on Autism:


R-Word: Spread the word to end the word.
Today I took action by joining the pledge and to be heard to spread the word to end the word.. This pledge is a pledge in which you personally take to stop using the derogatory word retard. The R-word is so negative and really can put down someone. I think this idea is awesome because it really made me realize how hurtful the word retard can be and it made me become better aware of word choices that I make. I think this should be spread all over the community to eliminate the r-word. This campaign can apply to so many concepts and really strive to make a difference. It made me feel apart of making a change for the better. No one likes to feel degraded or made fun of. I'm looking forward to spreading the word to end the word. Taking action such as pledging to this wonderful campaign connects to democratic values because calling someone retarded is a form of bullying and bullying is a huge problem in our society. If we can all come together and make a pledge to stop using the r-word it would eliminate the problem our society is facing. We all have the right to equality, what gives someone the right to judge someone else.
As a future teacher teaching about social justice is something I want to bring attention to in a classroom. All people are equal so why not bring those elements into what we teach and belief in. No matter what gender, race, ability, and/or language we speak. All classrooms have rules created by the students and teachers, why not create a petition to prevent the use of such words as the r-word. Not only can petitions be signed but student can come up with ways to display "Spread the word to end the word" to get the whole school on board. It is important for everyone to understand that we all deserve respect no matter what are abilities are and what we appear to look like. Through education we can develop a good public,community, and society.
“Struggle for social justice is central to our nation’s history…“Concerns about the common good and the rights of the individual, no matter how humble in social standing, transcends politics and holds a definitive place in the realms of morality, ethics and federal law, and therefore in the world of teaching social studies”
I believe that there is a struggle for social justice and the subject is looked past upon but in all honesty I think social justice should be in some way, shape, or form instilled on activities done in the classroom and the common good should be recognized on a daily basis. You never see common good deeds or protection of rights of an individual being done as often as it should. Everyone is so wrapped up in themselves that we look past on what we are actually doing. Like using the word retard, I have to be honest I use it in my vocabulary saying that something is retarded but if I was having a conversation and someone overheard me say the r-word they might be offended. Since I took this pledge I am going to watch what I say and how I word things. No one deserves to feel down!!

Here's My Pledge:
Kim
Tewksbury, Massachusetts
I pledge and support the elimination of the derogatory use of the r-word from everyday speech and promote the acceptance and inclusion of people with intellectual disabilities. (Salem State University)

To Help Promote acceptance and inclusion of people with intellectual disabilities join the pledge today by clicking the link below.
Pledge and Be Heard

Brittney's Take Action:

I plan to pledge to take action to stop the use of the r-word altogether. I have to admit I have used the word quite often, obviously I've never used the term towards someone with a developmental disability, but I have used it in other context. Now that I have researched through the campaign of Spread the Word to End the Word, I plan on taking the initiative to completely stop using it in my language and also educate others to do the same. I never really looked into the actual background of how hurtful the r-word can be to someone. I have used the word retard in the past and never thought to myself how I could be hurting someone by simply calling myself or someone else a retard. I now look at myself and think of how awful I have been because I have used it so many times. I want to stop using this word altogether and any other derogatory word that could negatively affect someone else. 
In the future I plan on using this type of campaign in my classroom to educate my students how negative the word is and how it affects those around them when it is used. Educating students how they can take the initiative to stop as well and educate their family and friends. This ties into the aspect of social justice that we talked about in class the other day and I think this would be a perfect lesson for that. Students can see how negative words or actions can truly affect someone with out even knowing. It doesn't have to stop at the r-word, any other derogatory word or action that can affect another will be taught to the students.



    No comments:

    Post a Comment